Statement of Fitness for Work (Fit Note)

If you are off work sick for seven days or less your employer can ask you to confirm that you have been ill.  You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work.  This is called self-certification.  Your employer may have their own self-certification form.  If not, you can obtain form SC2 from the surgery (ask at Reception) or download it from the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) website (  The dates you give should include any days that you do not normally work.

If you are off work sick for more than seven days your employer, depending on company policy on sick leave, will probably ask for a fit note which must be signed by a GP or, if you are under the care of a hospital, may be issued by that hospital.  The seven days include days that you do not normally work so when you calculate how long you have been off sick you should include weekends and bank holidays.

The first time you need a fit note you should make an appointment to see a doctor.  For an ongoing problem please telephone the surgery to request further fit notes as required.

There is no charge from an NHS doctor for providing a fit note if you are off work sick for more than seven days.

Some employers may request a fit note from employees who repeatedly take time off sick, even if each time they are off work it is for seven days or less.  If you require a fit note for an illness lasting seven days or less, please ask the doctor for a private certificate, for which a £10 fee is payable.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website